Friday, April 29, 2005

DAILY ROUTINE

Nowadays I find my time and days going as fast, if not faster, than the times when I was gainfully employed or when later, I was actively running a company. The minutes turn to hours and the hours turn to parts of the day, mornings, afternoons, evenings etc very fast. I do procrastinate a little, I do sit around, especially at my favourite spot in the front patio, with a glass of water in my hand when I am at home and stare into the open sky or the distant horizon, into emptiness so to speak, but my mind will not be empty. It would then wonder around to many areas. Sometime I wonder what to write and post into this blog. Sometime I imagine many what ifs; what the future would be if….. ; what if ……. what will the world be like and what will happen to my children when they reach my age …… my grandchildren and so on. Sometime I reminisce on the past….. the experiences I went through…… the various working cultures I was involved with ….. the various living environments and climates I had to put up with be it in my home country or in the various foreign countries I had lived in, for short or for extended periods.

My daily routine usually starts very early in the morning with the predawn prayers followed by a walk around the nearby park or around the neighbourhood. The park is usually pretty crowded at that time of the morning, with folks of around my age or older, not many younger, and I would spend about an hour there. Then it will be the routine of cleaning the house and tending to whatever chores that need attention around the house. I will either help my wife or she helps me. There are no divisions of responsibilities between us now. We do what is necessary and assist each other all the time. By the time we can sit down for breakfast it would be more than halfway through the morning already. Then it will be errands to run, buying groceries or paying bills, many are now done online though, post office, bank etc. Usually, if there is a need to do any of these, both of us will go together. This is mainly due to the hassle of trying to find parking space. One of us will sit in the car and the other will run in and do the necessary and hop-in back into the car. These errand outings are also opportunities for both of us to get out of the house, having spent 70/80 % of our life getting out of the house almost daily. Lunch is usually in the mid-afternoon and sometime none at all depending on what we had for breakfast.

Later in the afternoon I will usually take a short nap and when the day is cooler I will be in the garden, tinkering or catching up on reading. Or I will get on the treadmill for about 20 minutes to half an hour and work on weights in the back patio of the house. It is pretty dull walking or running on the treadmill alone, so I usually read a book or something while on it. After dinner I will spend some time on the computer, reading emails, visit chat groups, and surfing the net. Bedtime is usually after midnight, after the Nightline News on TV. Once in a while my wife and I will go out for simple dinners or watch a show in town. We keep up with shows at the Istana Budaya or the Malaysian Philharmonic Hall whenever possible. Other times we will keep up with kinfolks in and around the Klang Valley, either visiting them or they visit us.

The routine will change according to the circumstances when we travel to be with our grandchildren or with my mum.

It does not look like a glamourous daily routine but it keeps my wife and I occupied most of the time

MKI Ramblings Unlimited
Petaling Jaya

No comments: