Thursday, May 19, 2005

More Surprises

The trip to Sydney was one that I had wanted to do long before I retired from active work. I have visited many countries but did not put much effort to visit Sydney or any part of Australia. Not until recently when my friend and former colleague wrote eMails after eMails inviting me to visit. There was also the opportunity, quite by coincidence really, for me to purchase air tickets at travel fair and discounted price offered only on-line. So, conditions were just right for Ram and I to travel to Sydney and off we went.

We were quite surprised to find the place very tourist friendly, the people just as friendly. We were rather apprehensive prior to the trip and after having read in the news previously of how anti-Asians the Australians are and how they look down on non-whites. There was even a political party that sang very loud tunes crying anti-Asian sentiments. But the situation was much different than what we expected. There were no signs of the so called anti-Asian sentiments and everywhere we go we were treated well just the same as everyone else. The place exudes warmth and friendliness. They had very tight screening done on entry and departure at the airport but these were done very professionally. Although I was rather peeved by it I knew that it is their right to protect themselves and we just have to go through it in stride. The pleasures of going through the city amidst the beautiful sceneries, the pleasant atmosphere everywhere we go to, and the friendliness and helpfulness of the people, nullify the discomfort we felt on the strict screening exercise they conducted at the airport.

We had a very enjoyable time and a good holiday. We met up with our friend and they were very good hosts. They took us around and I believe they were also taking this opportunity to visit the various places themselves. They are in their mid 70s but they are still active. I understand that as senior citizens they are well taken care of by the government. They live comfortably and having two daughters with grown up families near them makes it more comfortable for them.

On our return home and upon exiting the arrival hall at the airport we had another surprise. There were many people at the arrival hall waiting for friends and relatives to arrive. Amongst them there was this one man, tall and lanky, full white hair like mine observing me from the distance. I was also sizing him up. I thought he looked very familiar. As I came close to him he called out first. “Kamil” he said and then, turning to Ram called out “Ramlah”. Hearing his voice the memories of my childhood and schooldays came flooding back.

He was my former classmate, study mate, playmate and what have you. We used to bounce thoughts, ideas, plans, school work and so on at each other. Together with a few others we were very close. We do all sorts of pranks and playful things together just like any other teenager of that time. After finishing school he went on to study law and I went to do engineering. He comes from a family of very prominent lawyer brothers, and he was the youngest, hence it was only natural for him to go on and read law. Two of the brothers were in and out of politics and Union activities in Singapore in the 50s and had even been in and out of prison then as political detainees. We met only once, a few years after we started our individual careers and have never met again since. I would put it at more than 30 years since.

It was indeed a pleasant surprise to meet him at the airport. He and a sister were waiting for another sister to arrive from Canada. I recognized both sisters and they too recognized me after some while. My friend was the same playful fellow, except that his movements and speech seems to be rather restricted and I learnt then that he is recovering from his fourth stroke. He had until that day been walking around aided by a walking stick and that day he was trying to go about unaided and is managing it quite well. We exchanged contact numbers and promised to meet up again sometime, happy at the thought that we caught up with each other. I certainly look forward to meeting him again…… soon I hope…..

MKI Ramblings Unlimited
Petaling Jaya

No comments: