Saturday, September 10, 2005

Moving Around In Bali

The easiest mode of transport in Bali is the taxi. There are plenty of them in the city and the most popular is the Bluebird Taxi, light blue in colour, whose services are professional and very satisfactory. I use them quite a lot this trip and never had any unhappy incident. The drivers will switch on their meters and the air-cond if it is not already on, as soon as you board, without being asked and will give exact change when you pay the fare, although it was much easier for me to round off to the nearest thousand rupiahs plus one or two more. (One thousand rupiah is about US10cents!! Small to tourists but big to the drivers!!). There are also two other taxi companies (that I know of, one with their fleet of taxis coloured dark blue and the other grey) operating and all are metered, air-conditioned and with radio communications to their base or control centre. Apart from these three companies there are the individual and small fleet of taxis operating on ad-hoc basis. I would not recommend them as they operate like freelance taxis and am not sure whether there is insurance coverage and whether they are licensed to operate as taxis. But if it is inevitable that their services are needed it is recommended that the rate is bargained and agreed upon prior to using them.

On arrival at the Ngurah Rai airport, and on exiting the concourse after customs, there is a taxi counter where cupons are sold according to set prices to specific areas in Bali. The price list is clearly displayed. The taxi drivers will also be at the counter and will assist with baggage. No hassle. My taxi driver was so helpful and friendly, giving me tips on what to do and see, and answered my questions positively, that I gladly gave him a tip when we reached the hotel, although it was unnecessary as the fare, as charged, was good enough for the journey.

To get a metered taxi in the tourist areas, downtown, in and around the hotels is no big hassle. There will be one, from one of the three fleets of taxi companies I mentioned earlier, cruising by within minutes. Everytime I walk out of the hotel where I stayed or when I pass some of the major attractions, shopping complexes and the likes, there will be someone attracting my attention shouting ‘transport’ with hands driving an imaginary steering wheel. I just waved my hands and said no while waiting for the metered taxi to come by and it will only be within one or two minutes that one will come by.

Other than the taxis there are the self drive hired cars. However, the roads in Bali are very narrow, congested, and chaotic, and that is saying it mildly!! It will be tough but fun nevertheless, if no mishaps takes place. It would be adviseable to hire a car with driver for the day or a specific period of time, and if there happen to be a mishap its the driver who will handle it.

Unmarked public transport or vans ply the major routes and these are very cheap and mostly patronized by the locals. I did not try any of them. Looking at the condition of the vehicles, the number of people they pack into it reduces my confidence level, and further more I am sure Ram will not forgive me for taking her in that kind of transport, even if it is with an excuse of feeling the experience that the locals go through in moving around!!

There are also motorcycles and bicycles for rent all over town and I see quite a number of tourists using them to get around. I would use this mode of transport if I had been alone as it is a good and simple way of moving around the town, and I know I would enjoy it but ........ with Ram along ……….. ahh well .........!

MKI Ramblings Unlimited,
Petaling Jaya

No comments: