Friday, October 21, 2005

The Passing Of A First Lady

The whole nation has been in mourning since yesterday with the passing away of the First Lady, the wife of the Prime Minister, early yesterday morning. She was 64 and had been fighting breast cancer since a few years ago. Her twin sister also had the same ailment and had passed away in 2003.

The final rights and funeral were performed yesterday with her being finally put to rest in the evening just before the break of fast. Throughout the day the official residence of the Prime Minister were packed with people, from Royalties, dignitaries and officials to the ordinary man on the street, who came to pay their last respect to the ‘stoic’ lady (to quote a reference made of her by her husband). Foreign dignitaries including Presidents and Prime Ministers, as well as representatives of foreign governments also came to pay their last respects. The roads leading to the residence were packed with cars, and the passageways leading to the main hall were fully packed with people. I see all these on TV as there was full media coverage of the proceedings. The Prime Minister himself was all the time a picture of composure, and was up and about receiving the dignitaries and visitors himself. Some of them breakdown when shaking his hand and he remained composed and consoled the visitors instead. I guess, being a very religious man and of high conviction towards the religion, he accepted this trial. Although looking pale and weary with grief he remained composed all the time.

It is a known fact that the Prime Minister and his wife was a very loving couple. I have seen them walking hand in hand to functions, not her hand on his arm but hand in hand. I have also seen him giving his wife a hug and a peck on the cheek when each was welcoming the other. It seems that they do this when they parted each day and meet again at the end of the day, how romantic. I know the First Lady’s younger brother, who was Ram’s classmate in college. He was a soft-spoken man, of even temperament and mannerism and pleasant to be with. I guess the same is of the elder sister. I read somewhere that she does not talk much but is always systematic and would pursue her passions with convictions, while the Prime Minister, being a politician talks a lot and is always full of ideas. The opposites attract, I suppose. I also read somewhere that their first date, before they were married some four decades ago, was to attend a recital of the Holy Book, the Quran, and he, being religiously trained and in upbringing, translated the Arabic verses for her. I also think that the Prime Minister is a very passionate man. He once read a poem, not too long after he became the Prime Minister, which demonstrated his passion and love as a religious man. This poem was reproduced in a local newspaper and I reproduce it here (I assume having been printed in the newspapers, it is now in public domain) as I find it very inspiring:

I seek the peace within
I seek not riches untold
To live a life of luxury;
I seek not millions
To live a life of plenty;
I seek not friends so many
To live a life of profligacy;
I seek he who is Al-Ghazali
I seek he who is Al-Shafie
To unravel the secrets in the Holy Book
Seeking Inspiration
To unravel the secrets in the ways of the Prophet
Seeking guidance
I live only for HIM, my Lord
He is my Companion
He is my Guardian
He suffices
I live a life full of meaning
Immersed in the peace within

May peace be with this man, who is a fine example of a loving husband, a caring father and an upright man, a popular politician and statesman, and for his dearly departed, may the blessings of the Almighty be with her and may her soul be placed amongst the esteemed. I continue to seek the guidance of the Almighty and may HE be pleased…….

MKI Ramblings Unlimited,
Petaling Jaya

No comments: