Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Drive to PJ and The 'MINI'

We have no rush to return to Petaling Jaya. We took a leisurely drive on Saturday to return home. We made a short detour to Melaka to visit my younger brother and his family, the main purpose being to collect a document concerning Tessa’s little ‘mini’ car that my brother uses. He had his briefcase stolen and inside, amongst other things and documents, was the ownership card of the mini. Hence Tessa will have to obtain a replacement ownership card from the transport authority and for that she will need that document, a police report of the stolen briefcase, from my brother. It has been quite some time too since the last time I visited Melaka.

We left JB at close to noon and arrived at my brother’s house at just after 2.00pm. We stayed for about two hours, sufficient time to rest before continuing our journey, and had a late lunch of noodles. My brother had to leave for his music practice, he belongs to the state cultural group and plays the keyboard professionally, while we stayed on and chat with the family. From my brothers house we went and visited an uncle of mine, my late father’s youngest brother. He had retired from his job at the Immigration Department about two years ago and had settled down in Melaka. His granddaughter, 15 months old, born four days after Najla, was there and this was the first time that we get to see the girl. She was just like Najla, a little shy, just beginning to form words, and playful. We finally left Melaka after 6.00pm arriving PJ just barely making time for dusk prayers.

I learnt from my brother that amongst the documents he had in the stolen briefcase were his international passport, his birth certificate and those of his two daughters and other documents related to his daughters’ school. He will have a tough time, doing the run around, organizing things to obtain extracts and replacements for the lost documents. I had that bad experience when I lost quite similar documents in 1995. It was January 6th 1995 to be exact, when my house was broken into by five robbers.

The mini car is still in good running condition and my brother uses it to commute to work. It is handy as it is small enough to ‘wiggle’ through traffic and to park in crowded places. This car is already 33 years old!! I bought it, already a used car, sometime in 1988, I think, for Tessa to commute to college. Later Shaffik took over when he went into college. I let my brother use it as a second car when my three children had no use for it but wanted to keep it anyway. It has had makeovers of the engine and body several times. There have been quite a few enthusiasts interested to buy over the car but we are not selling… yet!! Perhaps when we get the right price offer we may sell…… but what is the right price?? …… not a clue…… and I wonder……

MKI Ramblings Unlimited
Petaling Jaya

No comments: