Friday, June 23, 2006

Memories of a Former Boss Linger On

I received sad news of the passing of my former big boss, Tan Sri (Tun) Abdullah Salleh, the former Chairman/President of the company where I worked for 17 years before I retired. I was told he was a couple of weeks short of his 82nd birthday when he passed away yesterday. He was a dedicated Government Civil Servant before taking over the helm of the oil and gas conglomerate and stayed with the company until he was well over 65 years old at least. At that time he had the title 'Tan Sri' to his name but he was just as comfortable to be called 'Pak Lah', the normal way people called him, as against Tan Sri Abdullah. About four or five years ago he was awarded the highest state award which entitled him to use the title 'Tun' before his name. The last Prime Minister of Malaysia was also awarded the same state award and he is called Tun Dr. Mahathir now.

Mentioning Tun Abdullah's name conjure memories of a very simple man, kind and friendly. But make no mistake of this disposition as he was strict where work is concerned. In early 1982 I was posted to Tokyo, Japan, to take care of the design of an Ammonia/Urea Plant that was contracted to a Japanese Company. Just before I left for Tokyo, I made a courtesy call on him. He wished me well and cautioned me on the shrewdness of the Japanese and to be always careful in my dealings with them. I shall never forget what he said when he walked me to the door as I was leaving. "I know the Japanese businessmen well. They may bow lower and lower to you, but make no mistake, it may be you who gets 'screwed' in the end" he said grinning ear to ear.

I stayed in Tokyo for two and a half years. He came to Tokyo on three occassions while I was there, and each time I took care of his schedule and itinerary. The first time, I arranged for a car and waited for him at Narita airport. When he arrived and saw me he said, "Oh, you have been waiting for me here? It is a long way from Tokyo is it not? Thank you very much for your courtesy" Later he told me not to trouble myself waiting for him at the airport the next time he comes and if I wanted I could just meet him at the hotel. Ah! I thought, how different this man was when compared to other 'Numoro Uno' or "Head Honcho" of conglomerates who 'demands' service from staff wherever they go!! Some even to the extent of allowing the staff to be their porters!! (although some of the staff themselves relish on behaving like one!!) I was lucky that I never had to do that when I worked overseas.

On another occassion it was scheduled for him to meet the President of the Japanese Company. An interpreter sat between the two Head Honchos. About a dozen others, mixed attendees of Japanese and Malaysian staff, yours sincerely included, were there too. The two Presidents started conversing, one in Japanese and the other in English, with the interpreter interpreting what was said in the other's language. I think it was too much for Pak Lah having to wait for the interpreter to finish interpreting before he can continue speaking in English that he started speaking to the Japanese President in perfect Japanese. The Japanese amongst us just gawked, including the interpreter who, realising a little later that it was his duty to interpret started interpreting what the two presidents were saying into English for the benefit of others present. You can almost hear Pak Lah's chuckle then. I did not know that he could speak perfect Japanese and I could bet that the others present did not know too.

His wife passed away last year. She had been sick for quite a number of years. When we formed our Retirees Club some years ago we visited him to invite him to be our patron. He remembered my name although we have not met face to face for many years. He declined our invitation and insisted that he be allowed to be just an ordinary member. This was because he had to devote all of his time to attending to his wife. He said, "Where my wife is concerned, I must be there when she needs me, and everything else can drop". Thats the devotion of the man and we saluted him.

He is now gone. Only his legacy, contribution to the country, the company, the society remain and his memories linger on..... May the Almighty place his soul amongst those He accepts..... Amin...

MKI Ramblings Unlimited,
Petaling Jaya

1 comment:

maklang said...

You are so very correct. Tun is a so very humble man...May God Bless his soul, InsyaAllah...