Thursday, December 17, 2009

Long Distance Driving

For the wedding in Jawi, Penang I decided to drive and included a trip further North to Perlis. Immediately after the wedding reception at the bride's house in Jawi we made the two and a half hours drive to Kangar, Perlis and headed straight for Fahrul's parent's house.

We had, for quite a while, intended to visit the North again and also meet up with Fahrul's parents. They had been to KL several times and visited us and we had to look for opportunities to reciprocate. The wedding in Jawi gave us the reason to go further North and visited them. We arrived in their house in the late afternoon. It was a pleasant and easy drive, highway all the way and no congestion anywhere, except when we passed the area close to Butterworth when traffic was quite heavy. But that was only for a distance of about twenty kilometres. Lots of greenery with rice-fields as far as the eye can see on both sides of the highway the rest of the way.

While in Kangar we put up the night in Fahrul's parent's house. We had to. Fahrul's dad went straight for my big luggage and brought it right up to the bedroom upstairs. He said he wanted to make sure the bag does not get back into the car and insisted that we put up the night there. We were not given the opportunity to decline his offer!! We had quite a bit of catching up to do too. It has been quite a while.

Dinner that night was at a seafood restaurant, and there were many, close to the jetty for passenger and commuter boats to Langkawi Island, some twenty kilometers away from Kangar. One not familiar with the rows of seafood restaurants would be lost for choice of which to patronize. Apparently Fahrul's parents had their favourite.
The food at the seafood restaurant was good. We had fish, prawns, squids, crabs and vegetable dishes cooked in various styles that they continued to whet our palates. Not sure about Ram but I think I overate that night. The cool sea breeze and the lively atmosphere then only added on to the enjoyment of food served, food being my number one weakness. We later found out that the dinner cost less than half of what we would have to pay if it was in KL or even in JB for that matter.

We left after breakfast the next day and started our journey southwards. We decided to take the old road that pass through the villages and skip the highway, to the next town of Alor Star. It was not a good decision though as the road was quite congested all the way, made worse by the so-called 'nuisance' traffic, i.e those who, for reasons of their own, decided to drive slowly and hog the centre of the road!!

There did not seem to be much changes in Alor Star. I could get about town easily and remembered the roads and the various spots we used to visit when we were there previously. Ram wanted to check out the market-place, and I was lucky to be able to get parking space closeby. We spent quite a while there and then moved on to have lunch at a restaurant serving a wide choice of good local fare. Again I overate, phew!! And again, the food was cheap. The full meal for one person cost the equivalent of a cup of coffee at Starbucks or Coffee Bean!!

Our next stop was at Kamunting to visit a former schoolmate/classmate of mine. It took me a while to find his house. The place have changed a lot since my previous visit several years ago. I could not recognise the buildings and most of the roads have been upgraded or major reconstructions were still taking place with road diversions that was confusing me. I found the house after quite a while but unfortunately he was not at home. We met his wife and was also privileged to be able to welcome his grandchild of a few days, a first-borne from his youngest daughter. We learnt that he now has eight grandchildren altogether, beatimg me by two!!

It was late afternoon already then and we had a long way to go to return to PeeJay. We continued on our journey southwards after saying our goodbyes, and after talking to my former classmate on the phone from his house. Soon it was dark and I noticed that I had difficulties lifting my leg while driving and it also felt a little numb. We still have about three to four hours drive to make to reach PeeJay. We decided to stop in Ipoh and checked into a hotel for the night. I did not want to take the risk of continuing the drive in the condition I was in. After a good nights' rest and relaxation through the next morning we continued our journey home arriving in the late afternoon. I guess I was just exhausted the evening before and the feeling reminded me that I am not as young any more. I should not overdo things and should take strides that are lower or slower in pace. May the Almighty forgive me and may HE be pleased and continue to guide me always......

MKI Ramblings Unlimited,
Petaling Jaya

No comments: