Friday, April 04, 2008

A Forced Cross Country Return Trip

It was a Tuesday, a leisurely day for Ram and I. Monday was when I was occupied facilitating an induction program for a group of young executives in Kuala Terengganu, and the next session was scheduled for Thursday in Paka, a two hours drive south of Kuala Terengganu. We checked out of the hotel in Kuala Terengganu at just after noon on Tuesday and headed for Sita’s house in Kerteh, a half an hour drive south of Paka. We were to check into the hotel in Paka on Wednesday evening, hence Tuesday was for us to spend the night in Sita’s house. This has been our regular routine whenever I have to perform my commitments to my former place pf work.

This Tuesday drive was like any other Tuesday drives from Kuala Terengganu to Kerteh for Ram and I, slow and leisurely, with Ram dosing off now and then and me munching peanuts or crackers or sweets to keep from dosing off too. Sometimes I do the ‘wirid’ or chant the various names of the Almighty, and sometimes I sing aloud favourite songs, whistle, scream and so on, anything to keep from dosing off. But this Tuesday turned out to be quite different. Our routine went haywire somewhat.

Half way through the journey I received a call from my brother Abid, in Melaka, that my paternal aunty, who underwent an operation, to remove her left leg that had given way to diabetes, a couple of months ago, was in a serious condition. She was not herself and was unable to talk, my brother said. Her legs and hands felt very cold but her chest and neck area was warm. She was struggling to talk but was producing incoherent sounds. The immediate thought that came to my mind was that her time was near, very near. I suggested that we say prayers for her and I was determined to reach Sita’s house quickly and say prayers for her, afterall I have not yet performed my noon prayers. On reaching Sita’s house I immediately performed ablution, said my prayers, and no sooner than that I received another call from Abid that my aunt have passed away. I continued saying prayers and read the Yaseen verses from the Quran for her. She was 70 last November. Exactly 108 days ago a peternal uncle, elder brother to the deceased, passed away. He was 74

Ram and I decided that we should make haste to Melaka and left immediately after performing our late afternoon prayers. My late aunt was taken care of by my uncle, her younger brother, and his family since the operation. So we headed for his house. It was 6.00 pm when we left Sita’s house and arrived my uncle’s house in Melaka at just before midnight. We performed the dusk and after dusk prayers and I then read the Quran and ‘tahlil’ for the deceased. Others who were trickling in to visit joined me in reading the Quran and the ‘tahlil’. Mum arrived from JB half an hour after us and joined in too. Mum came with another brother of mine, Joe and his wife.

It was already 1.30 am by the time we were done. Joe had booked a hotel room for the night and mum decided to follow him. I followed Abid home to rest for the night. All of us realized that we have had no dinner yet and were all hungry. In the haste to attend to the deceased we forgot about dinner and at that late hour getting food was of no hassle. All night restaurants were everywhere. It’s as though people never stop eating!!

By the time we got to bed it was already 3.00am. Preparation of the deceased for burial was planned for 10am on Wednesday. So we had some sleep and rest meanwhile. Funeral services were all done by 11.30am. Mum, family members, Ram and I went to Abid’s house to rest before returning to our respective destinations. After freshening up Ram and I left Melaka to return to Paka. It was another six hours drive and on this return journey Melaka to Paka, traffic was rather heavy certain portions of the way. I was really feeling ‘pooped’ on arrival at the hotel. Only sleep was on my mind then…………..

MKI Ramblings Unlimited
Petaling Jaya

No comments: