Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A New Initiative and A Demand on Limited Time

I was contacted by a former colleague and met up soon after with him and a few others who are retirees like me. Our meeting was to discuss the structuring of a training initiative for new intakes of technical staff to the organization that we used to work for. The training outfit that conducts regular training for the organization is already overwhelmed with their training programs such that facilities and resources are stretched to the limit and thus an offer was made for Retirees to put an act together and complement the training initiatives.

The urgent need for this initiative arose due to the heavy outflow of staff as a result of an increase in demand for trained technical staff in the oil and gas industry especially in the Middle East region. With China and also South East Asian countries also looking at increasing their oil and gas downstream production output the demand for trained technical staff remain very real, thus the need to be prepared with a succession plan.

There are many issues to be addressed in the preparation for the initiative. The location of training, classrooms, administrations, Trainers and Trainees profiling and grouping, logistics and many others have all to be considered. Preference is for the Trainers to come from the Retirees group, for them to impart their knowledge and experience to the next generation of employees.

In addition to my current commitment to my former place of work the above preparation takes up more of my time such that my other activities, with NGOs, with community etc., that I am involved in has to be tuned down somewhat. Looks like I will be busier than when I was working hmmmmm!! I will just have to juggle my time carefully. Ram, on her part, has indicated her support but warned me not to get carried away. I am aware that age is now a factor to be included in the equation and is definitely going to be restrictive. But I thank the Almighty for this opportunity to give back to society, so-called ‘energy received, energy returned……’ and I seek His guidance for me to do the right thing at the right pace given the constraints and may He be pleased…….


MKI Ramblings Unlimited
Petaling Jaya

No comments: