Thursday, June 09, 2005

BUSINESSMEN & PRINCESS

A passing conversation with my brother when I was in JB about six or seven weeks ago led to a protracted discussion between us on a small business opportunity. Some action plans were made and we began executing it after agreeing on who does what. As is always the case, certain aspects of the execution plan need reviewing and revising. This was done accordingly and as the need arises. However there were certain other aspects during the execution that bothered both my brother and I. We had to be sure that the parties we dealt with are genuine, and not mere commission earners out to make just a quick buck, short term gains as against sustained business relationship over an extended period of time. Anyhow, we decided to pursue the opportunity and weigh the risks as we go along.

In the process of executing our plan, we get to hear of other business opportunities and in that process too, meet and hear of many types of people, local as well as foreigners, with whom we have to deal with somehow, to get things going. Amongst those that I met was one key player foreigner, an ex army officer, who claimed to have connections worldwide, and also a princess. Around them were a number of young and energetic local businessmen, who were ready to do what were necessary to execute their part of the deal.

The princess was no ordinary princess you read about in fables and fairy tales. She was down to earth, spunky and full of enthusiasm. She was knowledgeable with the business at hand. Always well dressed, carries herself well and in a dignified manner. She seems to be very close with the ex army officer, who was the one calling the shots in their group. I later learnt and was quite surprised that she has married children. She looked so young, pretty and well endowed. I guess as a princess she has all the right resources to maintain her inner and outer well being, so to speak!!

The ex army officer was a colonel when he left the army to go into business. When in the army he had many international arm forces contacts and many of them had left the army in their respective countries and gone into business as well. This was how he became an international businessman with all the contacts he had. So, it is true that in order to succeed you need to know people. Who you know will be more beneficial for you than what you know although knowledge is as important an ingredient for success. The saying that knowledge is power is true but who you rub shoulders with, who you interact with, is just as powerful in the circumstances. Power corrupts they say and absolute power corrupts absolutely. To me, how you assume and how you use your power matters in the end and you cannot hide it if you are corrupt. History has shown us many examples. If people around us do not see He sees…….

When I first met the ex army officer I was rather put off. We had an appointment for 3.00 pm but he came about forty minutes late. Then we discussed the things we need to discuss for only about 10 minutes and in mid-discussion he excused himself to attend to another matter and did not come back to me until after about two hours later. I began to have negative thoughts about him then. The princess however, and the other colleagues of theirs, were with me throughout that wait all the time, reassuring me. As the wait went on I began to be restless and was thinking of leaving when this ex army officer returned, apologizing profusely for leaving me waiting and thanking me for indulging his “bad showing” (his words, not mine), and explained that there was a separate deal that he was about to close and had no other option but to proceed. He assured me that that deal and also the deal he is looking into with me are both genuine on his part and is prepared to pursue this deal further with me, if I can assure him that mine is genuine too. We continued our discussion, from where we left off earlier and agreed to have another meeting the next day amongst the relevant parties. This second meeting went very well and all had good feelings on the decisions made jointly and the process of execution was then set into motion. More discussions were held as the motion picked up and all involved are looking forward to the success of this deal. Me, I will relentlessly continue to seek the Almighty’s guidance, and will do my part as called upon, to achieve the combined objectives of all parties. I could have walked out on that first meeting, and if I had, there wouldn't be any further meetings. I think I had guidance then........

Meanwhile, the original arrangement I had with my brother is also proceeding as planned, “extremely occupied with preparations’ to quote him, although there were instances where we had to do diversions and alternatives in order to proceed and to meet targets. I believe, these are the guidance from the Almighty, and I subscribe to it fully. Ours is to seek and work for it but in the end it is He who decides whether we are meant for it ……………. Princess, colonels, businessmen and all are but little players seeking only small opportunities in the pursuance of individual sustenance for life in this world and the hereafter, very little, when compared to the vast opportunities He has laid down on this earth for us to seek…………………

MKI Ramblings Unlimited
Petaling Jaya

No comments: