Thursday, July 02, 2009

A Train Journey Gone Awry

I love the train. I have always been fascinated by the train. Ever since I was small I have always viewed the train in awe and wonder. I enjoy train rides. During my engineering student days I had to do a six months practical training and had several options, one of which was to do it in the National Train Central Workshop. Yes, you guessed it. It was a natural option to take and I went through the practical training at the workshop and enjoyed it very much. Whenever I am near a railway track and when a train pass by I will stop whatever I am doing and view the train as it passes.


I am now on my way to Tenby from Reading by train – the First Great Western Express. I have arrived earlier from KL by MH4 MAS flight. The flight was normal and arrived in London Heathrow on time, and that was 4.15pm London time. I took the regular rail-air link express bus service from LHR to Reading where this train journey began for me. I had pre-booked this train journey from Reading to Swansea and a connecting train to Carmathen, where Fahrul is supposed to come and fetch me. I have done this trip several times before and it is so very convenient, but ……… not this time though.


The train was initially delayed by about 20 minutes in arriving Reading, due to some signaling problems they had in Paddington, the starting point of many train journeys from London. Apparently many trains were delayed as well. However there is a greater delay now. Someone had shoved a shopping trolley onto the track somewhere near Swindon and a train ahead of ours had run over it causing its hydraulics to rupture and left it immobile. So, there we were stuck on the track in between stations. The Train Manager announced a plan of reversing the train several signals behind and divert the train onto another track to Swindon. We waited….. Then the Train Manager announced that they are not able to execute the plan to take the alternative track as there are now a couple of trains behind us in the queue. So we waited some more.


It has been more than an hour of wait and it is now 10.15pm. They have resolved the problems of the train ahead of us. Finally we are on our way but the problems have just begun. Many passengers have connections to make and similarly for me I have a connection to make at Swansea. The Train Manager is arranging for the connections, most likely by taxis for all. I am in contact with Fahrul and are looking at the best option for us tonight.


Fahrul decided that it is better for him to fetch me at a station just before Swansea, the Port Talbot station, and forgo the connection of Swansea to Carmathen as it will be a hassle at Swansea to catch a connection to Carmathen. One will have to wait for the Station Manager to do a headcount of passengers needing the connection service and then arrange for the appropriate bus or taxis and so on and so on. Fahrul had gone through this before and it is no fun and will be very slow with a lot of wait and wait, especially when it is late at night!!, hence the decision to meet at Port Talbot.


The train is moving very fast now, trying to catch up lost time I guess. We were told that we can have drinks and snacks at the buffet car ‘on the house’ and off I went to the car several coaches ahead. I opted for coffee (to stay awake) and biscuits and look forward to stop at Port Talbot. Better record this experience on my new HP Mini I thought. We are almost reaching Port Talbot now and the time is about 11.40pm. It will be another two hours to Tenby by car and I am so very sleepy now……

Will I take another train travel? You can bet I will, today's experience notwithstanding.....

MKI Ramblings Unlimited
Tenby, Pembrokeshire,
Wales

No comments: