Thursday, May 08, 2008

The downside of International Travelling

On The Move Again

The last few days were a tight schedule for us but with the medical check-up done, my commitments served, it was free time to travel again. We have planned a five weeks travel to be with Sita and family in Wales and to go beyond. We have Spain and Morocco as part of our destination.

We packed our stuff, including some foodstuff that we had planned to bring along, in two luggage bags. We also had two carry-on bags. Checking in for the flight was without hassle. Tessa sent us to the City Terminal where we checked-in the luggage and took the train to the airport. Boarding was also a breeze as with the walking stick I was given the advantage of boarding early.

The flight was pleasant and I managed to catch up on lost sleep. The 50 channels of videos for in flight entertainment were tempting but I decided I do not need to watch them. I needed sleep more. Although the flight was uneventful the arrival procedures we had to go through was a disappointment. Immigration was a breeze but customs surprised us! They took away the precooked and packed meat that we bought and brought along, the first time ever in all my travels that I had foodstuff confiscated from me. I bet the same type and brand of the packed meat are imported and sold in London, so I cannot fathom the need to confiscate mine. I would not fret if it was raw meat or loosely packed ones that they confiscate but to take away precooked and vacuum-packed ones that are of industry standard is going beyond reasoning, especially if bulk and commercial imports of the same are allowed. There had been no indication anywhere of the ruling, nor was there any mention of it on board the plane. I remember the various reminders of no food allowed to be brought in when I visited Sydney, Australia a couple of years ago. Why can't the Brits do the same? I was very upset and Sita and Fahrul were both very disappointed when they heard of it. But then what else can we do? I mentioned this to Tessa and she, although surprised, remarked that perhaps we were not destined for that batch of foodstuff "tak ada rezeki" she said, and how true it was.....

Sita came with Najla to fetch us. She drove all the way from Tenby, Wales, a four hours drive, and arrived not too long after we exited the arrival hall. So she did not have to park at Heathrow. Najla was excited on seeing us although rather quiet initially perhaps due to just having woken up from sleep in the car. On the way out there were traffic jams everywhere as it was office knock-off time then. Fahrul had pre-booked a room in one of the hotels along the way back so we headed straight for the hotel to rest and recoup!

By the time we arrived at the hotel, about one and a half hours out of Heathrow, Najla was her normal talkative self already, telling us stories of her playschool, her friends in class, and what they do in school. Oh! She has alot of stories to tell us…….



The Playful Najla

I will write more in the days to come, with the blessings of the Almighty…….

MKI Ramblings Unlimited,
Tenby, Wales, UK

No comments: