Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Lifestyle Readjustments

I had another two days commitment to my former place of work, taking another batch of new intakes through the process of induction. The sessions followed after the family gathering I had in Mum’s house in JB, hence I had to travel all the way from JB to Paka, a distance of about 600 kilometers. Ram was with me as usual of course and the drive was a pleasant drive. No hiccups, not much traffic and good weather. However the seven hours it took for us to reach our destination in Paka was a bit much for me. I was ‘pooped’ by the time I arrived. Dinner was taken just to satisfy hunger and soon after that was off to bed in preparation for a long day in the classroom the day after.

Although I woke up fresh the next morning somehow I do not feel at ease at all. I could take the class to the end of the day without much effort, and there were a lot of positive interactions by the participants as usual, but my physical being did not seem to be up to mark. I started feeling ‘under the weather’ and no appetite for the sumptuous food spread the hotel prepared at meal times. (Six meals are usually provided for participants during any group sessions conducted. It will be difficult to keep the waistline ‘in trim’ when one attend any of these sessions). I could only manage bread and salads for the two main meals and nothing else in between. It was good cleansing time for my tummy though.

By the third day I was really feeling bad. I did my normal qi gong exercises in the morning, continue with extended deep breathing and stretching, but it was obvious as the day progressed that my inner system was not at peace. I conducted the second day classes as usual but it was a struggle to complete the day.

The drive home from the east coast was pleasant but my inner system was still without much improvement. All I wanted to do when we reached home was to just lie down in bed, relax and allow sleep to take over at will, and just ease off the stresses. I think it was a stressful week, with all the traveling and the activities, and the excitements of the family gathering that gave the detrimental impact on my body system. I just had to rest and ease all the negativity out of my system.

Ram and I had a scheduled full medical check up the day after arriving home. Results of the tests done indicated some serious lifestyle adjustments necessary. Both of us need to exercise more, adjust our food consumption habits, not the frequency but the types, and realign our daily routines. Yes, we have gained in weight and with this gain all other ‘negative gains’ followed. Lifestyle change is the only way to redeem it. We realize that we have been overdoing it over the last year or so. At our age, involvement in the activities that was required from us was good for the soul but not watching our diet was a mistake, a big mistake!

Our next venture is to travel to Wales and spend time with Sita and family. We have planned a five weeks travel window with them. I have rearranged my schedules for the commitment at my former place of work. So Ram and I will be having a lot of free time to mull over our health condition. It was a good thing too that we had a medical check just before we traveled. We know what we should do, what we should eat and so on. But whether we can do what we should do, eat or avoid what we should and shouldn’t eat, is a matter for serious consideration and indeed it can be very trying come the next five weeks or so!! We will just have to wait and see. We seek guidance from the Almighty always……..


MKI Ramblings Unlimited
Petaling Jaya

No comments: